I, like pretty much every other college student in existence, find the Internet to be a constant distraction. What can I say - I just find videos of cats and people hurting themselves much more entertaining than homework. However, as we all know, the Internet can quickly become too much of a distraction and can help contribute to the inevitable nights when we stay up until 4 a.m. doing homework because we were watching fail videos until 1 a.m., which I think we can all agree is not particularly desirable. It is because of this particular phenomenon that I have determined there is an ideal type of website for time wasting (because let’s face it, I do not have nearly the self control required to abstain from the Internet entirely). These websites are perfect because I find it difficult to waste hours on them, instead I merely waste minutes. The are, I suppose, a compromise between my conscience telling me to do my work and my attention span begging me to entertain it with the wonders of the Internet. And so far, they seem to be working pretty well.
1. Facebook - maybe it’s because I’m not a huge facebook user, but I actually find my average stay on Facebook to be about 10 minutes. I check for cool new pictures and occasionally chat with some of my long lost friends from high school, but realistically I don’t find there’s much else to do. I do, of course, log on about 20 times a night just to see if one of those glorious red notifications is at the top of my page, but each of those visits is only about 30 seconds, so I find facebook does not, actually, completely inhibit my homework doing abilities. You just have to be careful not to get too caught up in the “facebook stalking” mindset.
2. iwastesomuchtime.com - I do not actually waste that much time here. Yes, I do waste some time, but basically this website is like a very mini version of reddit. The stuff posted here is actually often from reddit, but a few days later, which doesn’t bother me. It’s entertaining but new things only get posted about once very hour, so I can’t actually feasibly let it consume all of my time. Thankfully.
3. Dear Blank Please Blank. An entire website devoted to a certain format of writing (ex: Dear Twilight, Oh, I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of my amusement park. Sincerely, Harry Potter). It’s easy to waste time here but it also gets boring pretty quickly. iwastesomuchtime.com and this website are actually run by the same people and they’re both visually appealing, so that’s an added plus.
4. Hyperbole and a Half - my favorite blog ever. The author only post occasionally, so if you keep up with her work, it’s pretty impossible to waste that much time here at all. She is the creator of the “do ALL the things” meme, which is kind of cool, but she’s also just outrageously funny and real.
5. Style Me Pretty - probably my most ridiculous obsession. It’s a blog about weddings where real people post pictures of their weddings, with their dresses, flowers, etc. It’s strangely addicting and totally a waste of time, but thankfully weddings get repetitive after a decent amount of time, so I don’t find my life slowly dwindling away before me here. It’s still utterly hilarious looking at the bad bridesmaid dresses though.
No comments:
Post a Comment